[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Need Good diagrams for Tesla Coil

Subject:  Re: Need Good diagrams for Tesla Coil
  Date:   Thu, 22 May 1997 08:22:02 -0400
  From:   "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
    CC:   <theiber-at-lonet.ca>

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Need Good diagrams for Tesla Coil
> Date: Wednesday, May 21, 1997 6:24 PM
>
> Subject:     Need Good diagrams for Tesla Coil
>       Date:  Tue, 20 May 1997 17:20:03 -0400
>       From:  Tom Heiber <theiber-at-lonet.ca>
>         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>        CC:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>

> Hey. Me again.
>
> I just bought a 12kv, 60ma neon xfmer. I am looking for any working
> plans that would help me design my new TC. I am specially
interested in
> nean xfmer protection circuits.
>
> Thank You
>
> Tom Heiber

Tom,
For that size neon use a .01 mfd capacitor. A 4" diameter secondary
tight wound with 18" of #22 magnet wire on a 20" long form would work
very well. Make a forced-air cooled RQ Spark Gap of at least 6
sections. Make a top load toroid that is at least 3"x12". Make a flat
primary using 1/4" copper tubing with 1/4" spacing between turns.
Make inside diameter of primary 6" and make 14 turns (You will
initially only need about 8 turns for good tune, but the extra turns
allow you to increase top load and re-tune as required). Make sure
you have a GOOD RF ground. You may have to raise the secondary an
inch or so above the primary to avoid over-coupling.

Unit should have a 10 amp variac to allow voltage control.

For protection, you should use a center-grounded safety gap across
the transformer, with the transformer case connected to safety
ground. You can make your own choke coils. You can make air-core
chokes for the sake of simplicity. Wind 150 turns of #22 wire on a 4"
diameter form. This allows you to use the same size wire and form
used in the secondary.

If you want a more compact choke, then you can wind a multi-layer /
multi-section choke (see recent posts for details). Just be aware
that in multi chokes the voltage stress between windings is MUCH
greater. The use of polyethelene or other insulation between layers
may be necessary. With your 12KV transformer, each choke can easily
experience peak voltages of 30-50KV due to primary kickback.

Secondary coil and chokes should be varnished or sealed in some
manner.

Once unit is tuned for max spark, you can try increasing top load and
re-tune. Eventually you will reach a top load size where the unit
will not be able to produce breakout. Then you can try making an
aluminum foil "bump" on the toroid so that it breaks out again. At
that point the system is maxed out. Oh yeah: playing with the spark
gap can get you a bit more "max".

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee