[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Is This Neon Trans. Worth saving

Subject:       RE- Is This Neon Trans. Worth saving
       Date:   Fri, 23 May 1997 17:22:44 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>I have a 15kv 30ma transformer which pops a 15A circuit breaker when
the
T>primary is connected to the AC outlet.  There is no connection/load on
T>the secondary.  The outlet behaves normally with another transformer
of
T>the same model.  There is no visible sign of a problem, except that
T>there is a tar leak down one corner, coming from the lid, (as though
it
T>may have overheated, expanded, and leaked).  I have not yet checked it
T>with an ohm meter.

T>Is there a typical cause for this symptom, and what is the fix likely
T>be?

T>Thanks for any info.

T>Tedd

        It's hard to answer your question without belaboring the
        obvious -- but heck, I've got a reputation for that so
        here goes:

                -  Shorted primary

                -  60Hz. transformer plugged into 50Hz. outlet

                -  220-v. transformer plugged into 120-v. outlet

              ( -  With reference to above, transformer mis-labelled)

                -  Experimental or one-off factory modification

                -  Shorted internally to case or core

                -  Modified by original owner (assuming it's not new)

                -  Does it produce high-voltage when the primary is
                     externally current-limited (as with a 100-watt bulb
                     in series with the primary)?

        The best answer lies within yourself:  Have you measured the
        primary impedance?   Have you measured either resistance or
        impedance to the case or core at  =elevated=  voltages (i.e.
        120-v.)?  Have you measured the secondary impedance?

        The above, in comparison to the identical measurements on
        an identical transformer, will vector you in to the locus of
        the hocus-pocus.

                               In Detroit, USA (obviously),

                               Robert Michaels