[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Suggestion for current limiting

Subject:  Suggestion for current limiting
  Date:   Sat, 24 May 1997 17:03:33 +1000 (EST)
  From:   Rodney Davies <rgd872-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi all,

Ever thought of current-limiting that 10KVA pig-pole transformer with
water?

Since water in it's pure (distilled) form is a perfect insulator, since
there are no impurities or free ions to conduct electrons.

I built a resistor out of 1" diam PVC pipe, about 6 feet in length,
plugged at each end with feed-thru conductors, where I filled the pipe
with distilled water, then added tap water to give it conduction.
While adding the tap water, I was continuously measuring the resistance.
Once I reached the required resistance, I plugged it up.

The beauty of this resistor is that it can dissapate heat very well, so
it's ideal for current limiting and I haven't had any problems at all
with
operation.

The costs was < $10 as I mostly had all the parts lying around the
house...

Well, there's a cheap solution if you don't have an arc-welder! :-)

My suggestions for the day...

Catchya!
Rod