[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mini Coils and Streamer Quality

Subject:       Mini Coils and Streamer Quality
       Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 11:51:43 +1200
       From:   "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi All,
         I played around with a couple of small coils over the
weekend and came up with some results that might be useful to those
trying to decide which way to go, more BPS-wise or more Vp-wise. The
experiments were quite revealing. The important thing was that power
input was constant over a wide range of BPS. I used the flyback
supply published on the HVLIST as a power source and one 4.7nF mica
transmitting cap as Cp. These caps are quite remarkable. They appear
to be extremely robust. I ran the 6000VW-rated unit at 12kV at low rep
rate several times and it never blinked. Anyhow, I digress....

     I used a single static gap to feed the coil. Tuning of primary
and secondary was within 5%. I experimented with different coupling
constants but no real improvement was noted for positioning the
secondary deep in the primary or well above it. Best reults were
obtained with the primary starting around the bottom of the secondary
for the taller of the two secondaries.
      I simply set the gap to fire at 6kV then cranked the supply up
to max and noted the discharges. I then progressively decreased the
gap until it was firing at just under 2kV. With the supply at max
power setting it must have been firing at several hundred BPS at 2kV.

Results: The decrease in output voltage was obvious as the gap was
reduced. One could tell by the free-air extension of the streamers.
What was interesting however was the dramatic difference in the type
of discharges. With a 6kV setting, the gap was not firing often
enough to cause much more than a loose coagulation of streamers to a
discharge rod. Length obtained was about 3". The sparks to the rod
were sharp and crackly like those you'd get from a standard induction
coil. With the gap set to 2kV, the attached streamers were just as
long!!! However, the high BPS caused them to almost become a
plasma-like streamer, much as you'd observe if you drew an arc from an
old B&W TV EHT supply.
    Important point: this is direct evidence that streamer length
depends heavily on power throughput. It was the same in both cases.
Output voltages were quite different. The higher voltage/low BPS
streamers had by far the greatest reach but never really formed what
you would call an "arc". The top of the coil was surrounded by wispy
showers of free-air streamers stretching out in all directions about
5" long. The drawn "arc" was shorter which showed power had to be
concentrated in the arc to support it.
     With the 2kV/high BPS gap setting, the free air discharges were
much shorter and fewer but now concentrated in bright flaming
streamers we normally see at higher power levels. But the drawn arc
was a fierce hissing plasma much longer than the free-air streamers,
again about 3" long.

     This was fun! :)  I am going to increase the supply capability
to 100W (was around 40W) and try some more. The nice thing was seeing
the full range of TC-type discharges in table-top miniature without
wondering what was going to be struck next.
     Based on this, I would say that if your BPS is still rather low
and the sparks assume something of a "crackling" quality, try upping
the break rate before increasing input voltage. I was amazed at how
little dependence there was between cap voltage/energy and attached
streamer length.

Malcolm