[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotor BPS

Subject:  Re: Rotor BPS
  Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 21:40:45 +0000
  From:   "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 03:41 AM 5/26/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Subject:  Rotor BPS
>  Date:   Sun, 25 May 1997 18:14:45 -0700 (PDT)
>  From:   gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>    To:   Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Will a non sync rotor work OK on a TC at 5KW to 16KW or do I have to
>have a
>sync rotor?
>
>Someone told me 1200 bps or above works best for a rotor.  How many bps
>works best?
>
>I have been thinking about building a rotor with 6 contacts on the non
>rotating disk and 7 contacts on the rotating disk.  This will give me 42
>BPS
>per RPM.  Using a 1725 RPM motor it turns 28.75 RPM's per second.  28.75
>42 = 1207 BPS. Is that to many BPS?
>
>Do I really need a rotor?  My vacuum fan spark gap is doing fine up to
>5KW.
>I am a getting very good spark output of 6' up to 8' max.  Haven't tried
>increasing the power above 5KW yet.
>

>Gary Weaver

  Gary -

  Your TC breaks and primary capacitor should be coordinated with the
power
transformer wattage according to the following equation -

      watts = 0.5 Cp Vp^2 BKS/EFF

  Cp = primary capacitor    Vp = peak primary voltage
  BKS = breaks per second   EFF = efficiency ( use .5)

  Note that this Cp and transformer wattage relation makes more sense
than
the out dated  'equal impedance'  reccomendation.

  There is no reason to increase the the breaks if you do not have
enough
wattage to fully charge the primary capacitor.

  This and other good stuff is in my books and JHCTES computer program.
Can
email you more information on books, etc. if you are interested.

  John Couture