[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: need capacitor information

Subject:  Re: need capacitor information
  Date:  Tue, 27 May 1997 16:20:26 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< I recently found a 12kv 60ma sign transformer and I have been
designing
 the tesla coil on paper.

 I have designed the primery and secondary but I need some information
 about the primary capacitor.

 I need to know the dielectric constants and voltage resistance per mil
 of polypropelene, polyethelyne, polystyrene. etc. so I can use the
 capacitance formula to design the cap.

 If someone has a table with this information of can help in any other
 way it would be much appreciated.

 Sincerely

 MSM

MSM,

I don't have all the info you requested at hand, but .062 polyethylene
will
handle up to about 9kv in a Tesla tank circuit.  Three layers of .030
should
be good for 12 kv and maybe up to 15kv.  Two layers of .062 should be
good at
15 kv and probably up to 18 kv.  The dielectric constant of polyethylene
is
2.3.  I find that if I use 2.0 in the formulas, it comes out quite close
the actual measured value.  This might be that the finished cap doesn't
really have the exact spacing of the dielectric thickness and is
actually a
little more because all the materials are not perfectly flat and in
continues
contact.

Ed Sonderman