[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Problems with Electrical Authorities

Subject:  Re: Problems with Electrical Authorities
  Date:  Thu, 29 May 1997 19:46:00 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Tue, 27 May 1997 16:33:50 -0600 Rodney Davies 3019181
<d3019181-at-bohm.anu.edu.au> wrote;

> ...Anyway, what I'd like to know is, what sort of laws happen over in the
> US? Do you have to be qualified to build, design, use or even sell TC's to
> your friends?
>
> Is the average citizen allowed to operate a TC (without the electrical
> mob knocking on your door and charging you a $500 fine) in your own
> home, even without faraday cage protection?

  Throught most of the United States people are allowed to wire their
own house if they so wish, so long as it passes the building
inspectors. There are no laws specificaly about building or running
Tesla coils except if it interfears with radio or TV transission and
that isn't being much inforced any more, so all that leaves is
possible "disturbing the piece" and property damage violations.
  Selling Tesla coils can be another story though depending whom you
sell to. If one were to sell to the general public they could have a
lot of problems! They would probably get sued the first time any kid
got hurt using it regardless if the kid violated every possible
common sense rule that exists! One could boldly mark it not to be
used without parental guidance and if a stupid adult touched the
running spark gap to see how hot it's getting and got electrocuted
then you would be held totaly responsible.

> Well, I think I could answer that myself as you guys do it anyway, but
> sadly to say, I've had soooo many problems with the Australian
> Electrical
> Authorities in the past and almost got a servere fine...
>
> Bugger the government! It's electrons, it's a natural phenomenonm it's
> Science, so then I'll use it and do with it what I like!
>
> They'll have to take me out if they want me to stop, then again, the
> Australian Government probably wouldn't think that to be a problem...
>
> Oh well, I'd thought I'd bring up a different topic and may mean a few
> things depending where you are in the world...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Catchya!
> Rod
>
> 'Coil away boys!' :-)

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/