[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Problems with Electrical Authorities

Subject:  Re: Problems with Electrical Authorities
  Date:   Thu, 29 May 1997 20:52:58 -0400
  From:  "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-cris-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 07:31 AM 5/29/97 -0500, you wrote:

<snip>

>Um a question mainly for those not in Australia regarding Electrical
>Laws
>etc.
>
>In Australia, we're not supposed to have anything to do with
>High-Voltage, (let alone Tesla Coils) unless you have some form of
>qualification. (Reference http://www.austlii.edu.au/, search for
>"Electricity Commision Law" )
>
>Anyway, what I'd like to know is, what sort of laws happen over in the
>US?
>Do you have to be qualified to build, design, use or even sell TC's to
>your friends?
>
>Is the average citizen allowed to operate a TC (without the electrical
>mob knocking on your door and charging you a $500 fine) in your own
>home,
>even without faraday cage protection?

<snip>

I'm not aware of any national laws prohibiting 'playing around' with
electricity.

We have a 'national electrical code' that is used in most states for
minimum standards for electrical wireing, but this is mainly for
insurance purposes. If you build some sort of temporary lash-up in
your back shed, you can't get arrested. But if someone gets hurt, or
your
shed burns down due to shoddy wireing, heaven help you! The insurance
won't pay and you'll be liable for damages.

We have a strong electrical union, and they keep trying to push laws
through to limit 'unqualifed' folks from working on anything more than
24 volts, though with no luck so far (thank goodness!).

Large corporations work pretty hard to make sure there are no laws
makeing them hire folks with expensive certifications, and unions/
insurance companys work hard to make sure houses don't burn down
in the night - a nice balance.

As far as electrical interferance goes, it becomes a whole lot more
complex. Practicaly speaking, if no one complains, you are legal.
If you interfere with the neighbors TV with your certified, bonded
and licenced electrical hand drill, you are in trouble nontheless...

You also need to understand that there are at least three levels of
laws - National, State and Local. This yelds a great confusing maze
of laws that you can trip over, and a whole industry of folks who
will guide you through them - for a price.

Electrically speaking, we in the US worry a whole lot more about
lawsuits than laws...

So, at home, purterb the neighbors and you are OK, and if
you build Tesla Coils for a busness, have a good legal staff !

My two cents worth,

Daryl