[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ground system

Subject:   Ground system
  Date:  Fri, 30 May 1997 11:52:36 -0400 (EDT)
  From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

When I set up my coil out in the driveway the other day, I found a
problem
with
my ground set up.  I have three 8' ground rods buried in a triangle
formation
with 8' between each rod.  I have all three interconnected with
galvanized
steel
roof flashing which is soldered to each ground rod.  There is about a 6"
wide
strip
of this flashing that I bring up to the coil and use two heavy clamps to
clamp to
a similar sized ground strip coming from the coil.  When I buried
everything,
I covered it all with about 100 lbs of salt pellets which I thought
would
help keep
the earth nice and conductive for a while.  This ground set up is buried
in
the
gravel driveway and I have cement blocks over the ground tab that I fold
up
connect to the coil.  When I dug this up the other day, I found the
galvanized
steel to be quite corroded.  This galvanizing must be thin and the salt
is
killing
it.

I remember at the time Richard Quick suggested interconnecting the
ground
rods with aluminum flashing and using Alumilox (conductive grease) at
the
joint
of the copper and aluminum.  Then using hose clamps to bind them
together.
I wish I would have followed his advice.  What is everyone else doing?
I may
dig it all up and re-do it.  I would like to use about 3" wide copper.
Does
any-
one know where I might find some?

I used hard carriage returns in this document as a test.

Ed Sonderman