[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor Oils

From: 	Aric C Rothman[SMTP:Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 7:18 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Capacitor Oils

     In the Tesla List archives, castor oil is mentioned as a good
     capacitor oil because of its high dielectric constant.  I think I've
     found a relatively inexpensive source for the stuff.  Castor is used
     in radio controlled aircraft as a fuel additive.  I paid $22.50 for a
     gallon of the stuff, after calling a few hobby shops to find the best
     price.  The label says it's pure, Grade AA (whatever that means)
     castor oil.

     Unfortunately, the oil is rather viscous.  Does anyone here have
     recommendations on how to thin this stuff out.  I'm willing to cut it
     with another oil, even though doing so will drop it dielectric
     constant somewhat, but I have no idea what is miscible with the
     castor.  Has anyone had success thinning out castor oil?  I tried
     thinning it with some light petroleum oil, and the mix got a little
     cloudy, which suggests to me that microscopic beads of the dissimilar
     oils are refusing to mix.

     I thought about using a volatile carrier fluid to thin out the oil
     during impregnation of the capacitor, but I'm concerned that any
     unevaporated solvent could turn my capacitor into a bomb.

     Suggestions?

     Aric