[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Furnace transformer

From: 	Kevin Radtke[SMTP:umradtke-at-cc.UManitoba.CA]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 3:07 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Furnace transformer

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
Pascal,
	Hey this is great you asked a question that I can attempt to answer.
Doesn't happen often. :)  I'm using an 10 kV 23mA Oil furnace transformer
as well for my coil and it works really well.  I believe you are exactly
correct in thinking your transformer is not performing as it was
originally intended to.  My transformer would arc across 1/2" safety gap.
Or I should say it used to since I installed a new syncronous rotary
spark gap earlier this week and "wasted" my transformer.  Now it will
only arc across a 3 or 4mm gap and its output current has been
drastically reduced.  After you run the transformer for a while, unplug
it (short your capacitor) and touch the sides to see if there's a warm
spot.  That's what I'm getting now, internal short.  You can try "baking"
the transformer in the oven at about 250-300 F to melt the tar and try to
repair it, but this didn't work to fix mine.  Best bet is to get a new
one.  Have it tested  before you pay for it though.   Good luck.

Kevin Radtke