[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primarys (how to wind flat coils)

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 10:55 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: primarys (how to wind flat coils)

Having read a number of posts on winding pancake coils, I offer my
suggestion.

The key is in supporting the tubing (or whatever) during the winding
process with something of uniform thickness between the turns. You can then
remove the spacer when you are done.  I have tried winding through holes,
pegs, guides, etc, and they are all miserable failures at getting a pretty
spiral (i.e. the interwinding gap changes between pegs, etc.)

Here is the easy way.  Say you are winding 1/4" copper tubing and want a
1/4" gap. Take TWO pieces of tubing and wind them together, preferably
between two flat cheek pieces. (I use a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood).
Wind with a fair amount of tension on the tubing so it forms properly and
lays down snug from turn to turn.  Then, when you are done, remove one of
the pieces.  Now, you have a spiral bent smoothly with the appropriate
radii of curvature, which you can then attach with zip ties, glue, or other
means.

You can also use braided polypropylene rope of the appropriate size as the
spacer, but it doesn't work quite as well.