[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First coil

From: 	Matt Mills[SMTP:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net]
Reply To: 	Matt Mills
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 04, 1997 3:46 AM
To: 	Tesla List

Hi ,
Okay now I seem to have plenty of info (200-300 pages) on building
tesla coils, lots from Richard quick and from Richard Hull from
internet sites.
I've decided to go with building an 8inch diameter 24inch winding
height TC.
Am still deciding about the caps as every bit of text is contradictory
and i am limited by cost of materials. Some ppl say use cooking foil
others say use heavy duty stuff plus with the confusion caused by ppl
from from the US who still use imperial measurements (took me a while
to work out that MILS does not = mm or um) :-)

The best text ive seen (in cap3.txt from Richard Quick) which sounds
what i'd like to do says something about Bill Richards caps made from
ziplock plastic bags in a 5 gallon bucket.  Does anyone have more
detailed designs of these or pictures?

90mils of polyethylene (is this the same as Polythene?) to withstand
15000v AC sounds very thick (2.3mm) which sounds impossible to roll in
to a rolled capacitor.  I know i can make this thickness up with
multiple layers of thinner Poly.

Also does anyone have a good spark gap and safety gap design (without
air quenching as I dont have access to a compressor)

Is the best primary design the saucer shape? for this size TC?

Anyway, hopefully i will be able to start my TC soon.

Thanks to those who have helped so far.

Matt.

                            mailto:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net