[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 06, 1997 6:20 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

At 08:45 PM 11/6/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  Jim -

  We have replaced an RSG with a Jennings vacuum interrupter and it is
giving superior performance. They are tricky to adjust but once adjusted
require no further attention. There are no moving parts so there is no
maintenance. These are standard electric utility switches and are sometimes
available at surplus stores. Most people do not know what they are so they
are sometimes a real bargin. A typical unit is only 2 1/2 " diam x 6 " long
and cost $200 and up new. The rating is 34 KV, 10000 amps (momentary rating).

  They will give you a dampened sine wave instead of a continuous sine wave
like solid state devices. A dampened sine wave gives a higher voltage for
the same energy and number of cycles compared to a continuous wave. They are
an ideal replacement for an RSG. However, more experimenting for Tesla coil
use is required.

  John Couture