[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Flyback Transformers

From: 	Ted[SMTP:tedric-at-generation-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 9:37 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Flyback Transformers

Matt,

Who cares about is there a built in recifier or not, mine has one too. It is
labeled 25,000 DCV and gives a 1" continuous arc. If you know the equation
E= 1/2 CV^2, you will find that you can get the biggest bang out of the
capacitor by increasing the voltage, so mine one is excellent for a (small)
coil and serves well as a test driver (~50 W?) if you don't have variac. I
kept the whole thing intact, but you can remove the CRT to avoid the risk of
implosion. It is fun to see a tesla coil comes alive when you switch on a
IBM moniter. :) You can also make a combustion (gasoline) gun with it, since
it is off topic, I will not talk about it here. One of my friend had this
big TV and its flyback gave a 6" "crazy" spark (as he claimed),
unforunately, since he has little knowledge in electricity, he had killed
the circuit ten seconds before I had a chance to see it. And I almost killed
him. :) BTW, the same guy gave me all the electronic components from his
(working) microwave a month ago.

Last year or the year before that, while I was playing with a combustion gun
using a b/w TV, I accidentally brought the chasis ground in contact with my
garage's rail, a ball lightning formed (twice, since I tried it again before
freaked out) and my garage just blacked out.

How to connect it? Well, I just connect a RF choke that is made out the
ferrite core of that "crazy" flyback on the high voltage side. John J. Freau
wrote an excellent article about DC tesla coil in TCBA Vol 15, #4, try to
get a copy of it if you want more information.

Ted