[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Tuner

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 5:45 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Tesla Coil Tuner

Hi Ted,

Use a low impedance signal generator and scope. For the secondary,
base feed the resonator from the generator and hang a short pickup
wire from the scope probe a few feet away.
    For the primary, short the gap and feed the generator across the
cap/coil with a resistance of 10 - 20k in series with the generator
(to save excessively loading the tuned circuit). The scope can be
hooked directly across the cap/coil.
    Both the above should be done with the other tuned circuit well
away from the one under test.

    Someone asked yet again about calculating Cself for a secondary
coil. I have posted the formula no less than half a dozen times
(twice in the last month alone). Check in the list archives. Keyword -
Medhurst.

Malcolm