[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pseudo toroid

From: 	Steve Z[SMTP:zoidspc-at-erols-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 10:44 PM
To: 	tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	pseudo toroid

>From my experiments with my own coil, I have found that the
surface smoothness of the top hat makes a big difference in spark length.
My coil uses an old fan cage about 30" dia. by 6" thick. It is covered
with aluminum exhaust pipe repair tape. the surface is about what what
you'd get if you crumpled some foil and flattened it out again. I could
get 3ft sparks at the current power level (2kw). I noticed that there was
a slight "corner" where the 2 halves of the cage came together at the
outer rim. I put some foam weatherstrip on this corner and covered it up
with more foil tape to smooth it out some. The spark length increased to
4 ft without any other changes

                                               Steve Z
                                            zoidspc-at-erols-dot-com