[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Jan-6544

From: 	Robert W. Stephens[SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Reply To: 	rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com
Sent: 	Monday, November 10, 1997 11:19 AM
To: 	tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Jan-6544

All,

In yesterday's post I gave specs on the pulse triode JAN-6544 with a
personal question mark after the 250 mA plate current rating.  Last
night while reviewing Pulse Generators by Glasoe & Lebacqz I noticed
they discussed the *interpulse* plate curent drawn by these switch
tubes.  In order to lessen the required swing of the driver
electronics they assume an acceptable amount of tube conduction
between the desired on times.  In this way they do not have to make
the grid driver swing as negative as would be required for total tube
cutoff.   In the JAN-6544 this interpulse current which can flow the rest of
the  time other than the maximum 0.003% pulse period of some 75 Amps is
a full 250 mA.  At 20 kV on the anode, 250 mA equates to an average dissipated
plate heating power of 5 kW, still clearly 5X the advertised plate dissipation
rating of just 1 kW.  Clearly the maximum plate voltage and maximum interpulse
plate currents cannot be employed simultaneously and one or the other
of these operating parameters will need to be downgraded in any real
application.

Hope this answers the anticipated flood of questions.  : )

rwstephens