[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capactitor Breakdown

From: 	Vivian[SMTP:V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com]
Reply To: 	Vivian
Sent: 	Monday, November 10, 1997 2:48 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Capactitor Breakdown

Hi All,
        I reported last week my first coil worked first time.  Well this
evening the flat plate capacitor started going bang.  I was running it for
several minutes to video.  I've yet to take it apart but the impression was
tracking around the edges.  I made it dry so I could easily take it apart.

My toroid was made from two stainless steel bowls (better shape than wok
lids).  I had used an angles grinder to remove the lips which then rendered
them very flimsy.  I put in a wooden disk to strengthen them and then taped
the two together with self adhesive cooper foil (used for EMI screening of
ribbon cables).  Having removed the lips I now have a very smooth surface
and quite a good shape.  The toroid now measures 13" high by 17" Wide and
cost me £20, that's $36.  Trouble is I got no breakout having removed the
lips.  A small magnet attached to the lid provided the breakout required.
and I was getting 19" sparks to a ground rod.

Is this any good for a 10,000V 50ma Neon?

Regards

Viv Watts UK.