[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Confusion

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 10, 1997 10:51 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: First Coil Confusion

<< Hi all,

 	Excuse me while I raise a question which has probably been asked to death.
 Despite the enormous amounts of literature, schematics, and books I've read
 on Tesla coils, I have yet to find one that gives detailed instructions on
 how to wire the whole apparatus together. I have recently completed the
 construction of all my coil parts, and I attempted to wire them together in
 what I thought was the correct way, according to the schematics that I
 have. When I turned on the juice, the spark gap immediately started firing,
 stinking up my basement and waking up the neighbors. I let the thing run
 for a full 5 seconds, but no spark issued forth from the terminal, or any
 part of the coil other than the gap. Being a beginner to the HV field, and
 the electronics field in general, I haven't got the slightest clue what
 might be going wrong. Here are my questions:

 My plans say that the capacitor should be connected in parallel across the
 HV legs of the transformer. Does this mean that I should have 2 leads going
 into the capacitor, and two leads going out; or a 2 lead cap with each one
 of it's lead's across one of the HV legs? Also, I am in the dark about how
 the secondary coil is connected to the rest of the circuit, or if it is
 connected to the rest of the circuit at all. If anyone could take the time
 to explain the wiring to me, or knows where I can find some DETAILED
 instructions, it would be greatly appreciated.

 Thanks for listening.

Alex,

If you want the capacitor in parallel with the transformer: Connect HV lead
#1 to terminal #1 on the capacitor, also connect terminal #1 of the capacitor
to terminal #1 of the spark gap.  Connect HV lead #2 to terminal #2 on the
capacitor, also connect terminal #2 of the capacitor to the fixed side of the
primary.  Now connect a flexible tap lead from terminal #2 on the spark gap
to the primary.  This is the lead that you adjust to change the primary tank
circuit frequency to match that of the secondary - called tuning.  The
circuit should work equally well with the position of the spark gap and the
capacitor interchanged.

The base of the secondary should be connected to a good RF ground, such as a
separate ground rod system, using heavy solid wire or possibly 2" wide copper
or aluminum flashing.  No other connection is made to the secondary.

Ed Sonderman