[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Water As Dielectric

From:	Thornton, Russ #CSR2000 [SMTP:ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 12, 1997 9:50 AM
To:	'Tesla List'
Subject:	RE: Water As Dielectric

>Subject: 	Re: Water As Dielectric
>

>>      What is water's dielectic strength? I did a search on the internet
>for
>> this value and the only thing I kept finding was it's dielectric
>constant.
>>
>Water's dielectric strength, at DC, is zero. It is a conductor. However,
>for very fast pulses, water is often used as the dielectric in transmission
>lines or low inductance capacitors. The reason for this is that water is a
>"slow" conductor, that is, it takes some time for the ions to migrate and
>carry the current. For a pulse of less than a microsecond, there isn't
>appreciable current flow.

Jim,
I guess you have a dispute with D.G. Archer and P. Wang.
Their research found that water does have a dielectric constant that
varies with temperature.

Temp.		D.C.
 in C
  0			87.9
 20			80.2
 40			73.17
 60			66.73
 80			60.86
 100			55.51

This was published in the Journal of Physical Chemistry, Ref. Data, 19,
1990.

They probably got a Doctorate for it so it must be true. <g>