[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "Ballast"

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 13, 1997 2:09 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: "Ballast"

On Thursday, November 13, 1997 8:20 AM Thornton, Russ #CSR2000
[SMTP:ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil] wrote;

> Are ballasts usually required on higher powered coils that use pole pigs
> or do you need them for neon driven coils, too?  I am primarily
> interested in neon driven coils so if a ballast is needed(and I
> did not have any with my first coil of many years ago) how do
> you determine the rating?  If you go inductive do you build
> them yourself?

You only need to use a ballast if your transformer is NOT current limited
as with a pole pig or a potential transformer. Neon sign transformers,
oil burner ignition transformers, and the majority of microwave oven
transformers all have built in magnetic shunts to current limit them and
consequential don't need any ballast.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/