[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Multiple neons in parallel

From:	Robert Michaels [SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 8:15 AM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	RE- Multiple neons in parallel

To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE- Multiple neons in parallel

        Another cook - making another fruit compote!

        What you propose is a contradiction in terms.

        But cheer up.  It's "not really bad"  (your words), it's
        just a total waste of time, effort and resources.  That's
        all.
                              - - - - - - -

        To make maximal use of the current available from the neons,
        the capacitor must be large enough to absorb all of the charge
        which the neons will throw at it.

        Further, the capacitor has only 4.333...msec. in which to
        to this.   The amount of time it takes to charge a given
        capacitor is a function of the capacitance and the total
        circuit impedance inclusive of the impedances of the
        neon secondaries, the internal impedance of the capacitor,
        and the impedances of the intervening wiring, chokes,
        lumped resistances (if any), etc.

        If the capacitor now in use is optimal for the amount of
        charge available from the existing one neon, then making
        more charge available,  =and=  lowering the circuit impedance
        (by paralleling neon secondaries),  will only mean that
        much of the additional charge (perhaps all of it) will be
        wasted.

                                - - - - - - -

                Recalculate your capacitance requirements.
                Add more capacitance if necessary.  Then
                retune your T-coil's primary.

                It's the right thing to do.

                You did make your primary tunable, right?
                If not shame!   Wind another one.  Winding
                a primary for a neon-class Tesla-coil is
                something you should be able to do while
                waiting for clothes to come out of the
                dryer.

                Elsewise - additional neons will largely
                be wasted.  Better to save them for some
                future use.

        And BTW - if you have neons in parallel, then you have
        multiple neons.   T-Coiler's koan:  What is the wiring
        diagram for one neon in parallel?

                                            Zen master of the
                                            Tesla-coil, in --
                                            Detroit, USA