[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Spark Gap specs.

From: 	- Omega -[SMTP:seraphim-at-WPI.EDU]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 11:41 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Rotary Spark Gap specs.

TC Land,

My name is Joshua Resnick and I'm an EE student at WPI.
I'm attempting my first tesla coil and have some questions and thought
that this would be the best place for anwers!

My xfmrs are rated together at 10KV RMS -at- 300mA.
I was wondering about the following things:
1.  What kind of RF chokes on the end of the xfmr. secondaries do I
need?
2.  I have a high speed vacuum cleaner motor and I want to build a
rotary spark gap,  if I have ~2000 rpm's how many pins      should I
use, and how would I arrive at the same conclusion?
3.  What is the optimal height /diameter ratio for the secondary?
4.  Do you know of a good final voltage equation from the secondary?
5.  Are there any downsides to building a stacked aluminium flashing /
polyethylene cap. as opposed to a rolled cap.  I've had good luck with
another foil, plastic stacked cap for induction heating in a gap driven
LC circut and was ondering if the same technique could apply to my coil.

6.  I wrote an excel sheet to estimate my coil properties and was
wondering if anybody out in TC land has tried a coil with the H&R 10KV -at-
300mA xfmrs and knows good values for :
    Cap rating
    Primary dimensions
    Secondary dimensions w/wo toroid
    Rotary gap ratings

I know that this is alot to swallow but if one of you experienced guys
can answer these for me, perhaps someday I'll be able to answer
questions for another newbie!!!!!

Thanks alot.
Sincerely,
Joshua Resnick