[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 18, 1997 2:06 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

>I have coated two secondary
>coils with Polyurethane coatings in the last 20 months with good results.  I
>should really qualify that remark"good results".  My goal was to provide a
>means of locking the wire onto the form, make the entire assembly moisture
>proof and also create a high gloss finish (simply to improve the
>appearance).  I never spent any time checking on any improvement in the
>overall coil dielectric properties.   Others on the list have used no
>coating, water based Polyurethane, varnish and on and on.

I would strongly recommend not using water-based polyurethanes, this
stuff is crap IMHO.  Go with the clear gloss oil-based stuff.  I prefer
Behr for its super fast drying times, and I hate the new low VOC Minwax
stuff- it takes WAY too long to dry.  Also, I am curious if anyone has
used Behr's Build 50; this is the thick epoxy coating that is used to
make those tacky bar counters with the old coins in them...  It's
supposed to be as thick as 50 coats of urethane, but it's also designed
to be applied to flat horizontal surfaces, to prevent running and
pooling, so I have my doubts about getting it to work on a cylindrical
coil.

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net