[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Cap Confusion

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 19, 1997 6:03 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: RE-  Cap Confusion

<<
   I agree that power factor correcting (PFC) capacitors are of little value
 for Tesla coilers. I would not recommend them because they can cause
 resonance problems.

   Reactive currents do not register on power company's kilowatt hour meters
 and are not billed to the customer. Only large electric user customers are
 billed for reactive currents (low power factor) by installing special meters
 like demand meters.

   A Tesla coiler will not save any money on his electric bill if he installs
 PFC capacitors.  Reactive currents will circulate thru his house wiring
 system but will do nothing except create a small extra voltage drop when the
 coil is operating.

   Note that the electric power company does not sell electric power to its
 customers, only electric energy.

   John Couture

I think the only real need for pfc caps is when you have multiple neon sign
transformers and the total current is too much for the variac at hand.  Then
adding pfc caps may bring the current down to an acceptable level.  I used
them initially when I only had a 10 A variac.

Ed Sonderman