[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: arcing on secondary

From: 	Chip Atkinson[SMTP:chip-at-XiG-dot-com]
Reply To: 	Chip Atkinson
Sent: 	Friday, November 21, 1997 2:48 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: arcing on secondary

Kevin,

This is caused by excessively tight coupling between your primary and
secondary.  What is happening is that non fundamental harmonics are being
created in your secondary.  This causes voltage peaks at places other than
the top of the secondary.  You can fix the problem by raising the
secondary up on blocks.  You did the right thing in shutting the coil off,
because it will eventually cause the coil to short out and therefore cease
functioning properly.

Chip
> could someone explain to me waht is happening when a sparks jump across
> the windings of the secondary?  it happened to me the other day with my
> 6" coil near the bottome of it.  i saw it do it twice then i shut it
> off.
>
> thanks
> Kevin Wahila

Chip Atkinson; Xi Graphics 1801 Broadway, Denver CO 80202
(303)298-7478voice (303)298-1406fax (800)946-7433sales