[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Air Temp/Humidity and Spark Length

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Friday, November 21, 1997 6:51 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Air Temp/Humidity and Spark Length

I too have found that dry air is particularly good for longest sparks.
A great test for best conditions is to check how much static you can
generate by dragging your feet in insulated soles on a carpet. I set
up an e.s. voltmeter here at work in one room. We also use it to
demonstrate the hazards of using carpets in computer rooms, workshops
where e.s. sensitive components are worked on etc. It gave the
computer service group here something of a "shock" when they realized
the qualities of the carpet in their room.......

Malcolm