[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wiring 2 neons?

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 27, 1997 10:42 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: wiring 2 neons?

Onb Wednesday, November 26, 1997 4:05 PM Raymond C. Howes
[SMTP:rchowes-at-email.msn-dot-com] wrote;

> ...Running 2-15kv-at-30ma with the 120ac wired the same on the trans. results in
> no spark on the coil. Running 2-15kv-at-30ma with the 120ac wired in reverse
> gets a huge spark out of the coil. Does this mean they're wired right? What
> about the being phased properly? I only ran it for a second and figured the
> best thing for me to do is write a letter and find out from the pro's.

Ray, it is easy to properly phase two neon sign transformers in parallel.
what you do is connect one side of the secondaries together and put a
longish insulated wire on the other side of ONE transformers secondary and
connect it to an insulating stick (dry wood or plastic) now connect the
primaries in what seems to be a parallel connection and power up the pair,
then using the insulated stick pring the lead from one transformers
secondary to the other unconnected secondary on the other transformer. Now
if there is no sparking you have it perfect, BUT if any spark jumps from
the lead to the secondary terminal then reverse the primary connections on
ONE of the transformers and it should be properly phased. Note it is
important that the two transformers be rather closely matched and it's not
easy with two different brands, but good luck!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/