[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wiring 2 neons?

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, November 28, 1997 1:13 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: wiring 2 neons?

to: Ray

It sound like you are on the right track.  Easy way is to set up a small
climbing arc using perhaps two glass soda bottles for insulator supports.
With the transformers wired in a "bucking" configuration each will cancel
almost all of the other xmfrs  output so no climbing arc on your test wire
rods.  Reverse just one of the primary connections on one transformer (ie,
switch the white and black around on one xmfr) and then run it again.  This
time you will get a nice powerful climbing arc and then you are wired
correctly.  You can also perform this test at low voltage by hooking a
standard 1000 volt multimeter to the paralled common outputs and running a
small varic on the primary side.  Adjust for approx 5-10 volts input and
watch the multimeter connected to the sec side.  Just don't go over 1000
volts output (caution --- some meters are only 750 volts max).  Reverse one
primary connection and try again.  If "bucking" then there will be a very
small output even if you increase the variac to higher levels.  Don't go
over 30% at any phase of these tests.

Hope this helps out.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net