[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE-: Grid Dip Oscillator (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 16:03:00 GMT
From: Robert Michaels <robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE-: Grid Dip Oscillator

        Together, each of you have half of the story partially
        correct.

        Firstly -- there are no longer any "Grid-Dip Oscillators" in
        practical terms.  The last one of these went out of
        style about the time John F. Kennedy was President.
        The modern incarnation of this instrument uses transistors
        (or integrated circuits).  Ergo, no "grid".   So - let us not
        mislead the gullible - I'd hate to be responsible for
        having some young'un laughed-out of the electronics shop.

        Second - Any righteous Dip Oscillator (note correct term-
        inology) can be used as an active or passive device.

        As an  =active device=  it generates a signal and is used
        to test  =passive circuits=.  Its meter  =dips=  when
        power from it is absorbed by the circuit under test.

        Howsoforever - in any self-respecting and proper Dip
        Oscillator it is possible to turn off the signal.  The
        instrument thus becomes a  =passive device=  and is used
        to measure  =active circuits= .  It this use it is
        effectively a wavemeter.  Its meter peaks when it absorbs
        power.

        Note how the meter response differs in each situation:  It
        dips when on frequency as an active device (Dip Oscillator).
        It peaks when on frequency as a passive device (wavemeter).

                                - - - - - -

        While I have your rapt attention: (and strictly not to
        mislead the young'uns):

        Dip Oscillators are rude and crude, rough and ready,
        handy-dandy, quick and dirty, fast and frivolous devices.
        There are much better and more precise ways to obtain the
        same measurements.   Their main value is in their
        portability - not their precision.

        In a transistor oscillator - note: no grid - there is also
        no "dip" either.  The meter reading peaks on max. power
        absorption by the passive circuit.

        Hosoforeverbethatasitmay -- the reading is inverted by
        additional circuitry, so it actually does dip in the
        practical, working commercial instrument.  This, I guess,
        for historical reasons, so as not to mislead the old'uns.

                                        Not young, or old, but maybe
                                        a little dippy -- in
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels