[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Florescent Foolishness

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 30, 1997 3:17 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Florescent Foolishness

> Mercury is too dangerous to play around with, I remember my high school
> teacher used to tell us that by break a mercury thermometer, there is
enough
> mercury to overdose all the people in a stadium. Actually I now regret
> playing with mercury when I was young.

I agree that Mercury is dangerous to "play" with, and, I did say that the
idea would be hazardous to implement. However, 20 kV is dangerous to play
with, as well. Without getting off topic, I think your high school teacher
overstated the risk a bit.

Know the hazards and take appropriate precautions. If you don't know how to
handle Mercury, then don't use it. However: factories produce mercury
switches and mercury vapor filled fluorescent tubes by the billions,
without a noticeable loss of life due to mercury poisoning.