[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnets

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 13:58:35 -0500
From: "Charles S.S. Goodwin" <goodwc-at-rpi.edu>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Magnets

If you are looking for very strong magnets, you might try
Neodymium-Iron-Boron permanent magnets.  They are probably the strongest
permanent magnets you can buy.  I have seen these magnets attract dollar
bills (metallic ink) and magnetically suspend liquid oxygen, which is only
paramagnetic.

Although I am unsure of how you might direct the field (perhaps pole
pieces), their strength is unbeatable if you can design the gap-magnet
combination to take advantage of it.

They can be bought from Edmund Scientific (overpriced, but I know they
carry NIB magnets). They are probably available from other
scientific/educational companies, so you might want to call Fischer
Scientific, Central Scientific, or any other of which you know.  Sorry, I
don't currently have an Edmund Scientific catalog.  I believe Edmund is
located in New Jersey.

I doubt that you will be able to make a stronger magnet on your own
regardless of how much power you can supply to your electromagnet.  If you
do know of a way to do so, let me know how, 'cause the NIB magnet is the
strongest I have ever seen.

Hope this helps
Casey Goodwin

Casey Goodwin