[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC Drive

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 97 00:29:48 UT
From: Larry Robertson <LWRobertson-at-classic.msn-dot-com>
To: Tesla Builders <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: DC Drive

Greg and all ...

My plan is to use 4 single ended electrodes on the
rotor, cross connected; facing 8 electrodes on the
stator, arranged so the resonance cap is pulse charged
with opposite polarity from the DC storage capacitor each
time the electrodes present. I think this is the minimal
arrangement without using two rotors.

The storage cap is a 2 uF pulse discharge cap, 60 kV,
and the resonance cap will be about 0.025 uf. maybe home
made. I will feed the storage cap with a single phase (I know!)
bridge and considerable RF filtration. I now have 15kV rms
at 120 ma. More on the way.

>From the point of view of the resonance cap I think this
doesn't look a whole lot worse than the  + charge : discharge,
- charge : discharge, of a typical AC coil. The primary would
see twice the voltage though, as the caps would be effectively
in series at the instant the gaps close. There may be some
implications from ring up.

      My feeling is this scheme will make more efficient use of the
      resonance capacitor, and simplify the balancing act necessary
      to get the coil running well.

       I already have suspicions about erratic behavior if the gap quench
       occurs while everything is still ringing, leaving the resonance cap
       at some indeterminate voltage. Experiment will tell, as usual.

 LR