Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 13:24:39 +1000
From: Phil Chalk <philoc-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Old Inventions

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
<SNIP>

> said 120 VAC to 10,000.
> > VAC.  The guy was asking $30.00 each for these
> antique transformers.   I
> > didn't buy one.  But this gave me some ideas and it
> might give some one else
> > some ideas too.

I once made something similar, but was single winding,
not transformer.  Bought 1kg, I think, of mild steel
welding rods, approx 2 mm dia, cut into thirds, bundled
together & taped.
Made acrylic former approx 150mm long & wound
thousands(?) turns approx  #24/26 wire removed from old
TV mains transformer, & slid wound former over iron
core.

Was originally intended to be an "Induction Coil" toy,
but eventually came to be used mainly as an excellent
degaussing coil for TV etc screens.  However I could
wrap as many turns of car battery jumper lead as I
could fit on the core, & it would melt a 2" nail
clipped betwwen the two ends of the lead, in a few
seconds,  and some other fun things..........

Cheers,

PhilC.