[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:47:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

>I destroyed a pig in a similiar fashion, and it wasn't even connected
>to any circuit!!! In the pics of the 130kW prototype coil tests on Chip's
>web page, there is a shot of a power arc hitting the rear fence.
>That arc somehow managed to reach over and touch one of the top insulators
>on a pig that was stored further down the fence.  The 'touched' insulator
>was shattered at its neck, where it met the lid!
>After the test I had thought that someone had accidentally knocked it off,
>until I reviewed the video, and witnessed the misdeed.
>

>-GL

Hi Greg,

The bushing actually blew apart??  Yow!  Was the secondary fried, or did it
arc straight to the case from the bushing?  Might have been an easier path
than from the secondary through the oil to the case.  Well I guess if you
are going to blow a pig, you might as well do it in a spectacular way!
Mine went out with barely a whimper.

Charles Brush