[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:26:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

  --  snip  --
<<
 >I have a new design to try out to fix the downward strikes - once I get the
 >damn thing running again.  I tested this idea on my small 3" coil and it
 >works well.  I have a 5 x 40" toroid mounted on the secondary.  On top of
 >this I place a cylinder 18" tall and maybe 24" in diameter made of aluminum
 >flashing rivited together at the ends.  On top of this sits a 5 x 33"
toroid.
 > All the discharges should leave from the top toroid and not be able to or
 >want to go down toward the primary.  I'll let you know how this works,
 >someday soon I hope.

 I will be interested in hearing how that works!  Good luck with your coil's
 gremlins.
 Charles >>

Charles,

I tried this last night when I had the "best" primary set up and was getting
57" sparks from the 40" toroid.  I arbitrarily moved the primary tap up one
turn and added the large cylinder spacer and the top toroid.  I did not have
enough voltage to cause breakout on the toroids.  I ran the variac all the
way up and waited a second or two, it was sounding like something wanted to
blow so I shut it down.  I guess this test will have to wait until I am
processing more power.

Ed Sonderman