[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:32:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

>Charles,
>
>I tried this last night when I had the "best" primary set up and was getting
>57" sparks from the 40" toroid.  I arbitrarily moved the primary tap up one
>turn and added the large cylinder spacer and the top toroid.  I did not have
>enough voltage to cause breakout on the toroids.  I ran the variac all the
>way up and waited a second or two, it was sounding like something wanted to
>blow so I shut it down.  I guess this test will have to wait until I am
>processing more power.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Ed,

I'm eager to try a spaced toroid stack similar to your's next time I have
my coil together.  Interesting that you can't get breakout though.  You
could always add a breakout bump for the time being.  My 7" by 36"
toroid only seems to want to break out from the seam, even though I
have it pretty well smoothed over.

Popping:  I have gotten that same popping sound that you spoke of in an
earlier message, and was also wondering what caused it.  I agree that
it sounds like a problem one wouldn't want!  The message about reactor
saturation was interesting.  I wonder if some really heavy filtering
between the pig and welder might not help (i.e. not just little RFI's).
Yet another experiment to add to my list.

Glad to hear you're sparking again Ed!

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrgroup-dot-com/cbrush