[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifiers revisited

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 07:33:02 EDT
From: FutureT <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Magnifiers revisited

<< Hi John, All,
>      Could you try the same size magnifier driver form
> with say #18 gauge magnet wire instead of the #28 and
> observe the quenching and spark length?  What I am curious
> about is whether the driver acts as an impedance matching
> network between the extra coil and driver primary.  Could
> there be an optimum surge impedance for the driver secondary
> that would provide the best energy transfer and quenching
> for a given primary and extra coil?
                          Barry

Barry, All,

I do think that the driver serves an an impedance-match device,
but I don't think it's all that critical, and IMO I don't think the #18
wire would make much difference in either quenching or spark-
length.  But to test the idea, I'd have to build a larger primary and
secondary.  Or I'd have to use multiple layers of #28 wire to equal
#18 wire.  In previous work, using  a different magnifier, I used #18
wire and also saw about the same reduction in spark-length in
the magnifier as compared with the classic TC arrangement while
obtaining about 40" sparks.

John Freau