[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri-Sec Phasing

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 07:36:03 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Pri-Sec Phasing

Hi Greg,

> From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Pri-Sec Phasing
>
> Malcolm wrote:
>

> > k for that coil *as a whole* is 0.12.  As we know, coupling to just
> > the bottom is significantly higher than that figure suggests. Imagine
> > if the few secondary turns I measured increased in diameter until
> > they matched the primary diameter. If you are still not convinced, I
> > will be happy to wind a 5/10/20 turn or whatever coil that matches
> > primary height and whatever diameter you choose. The same rules are
> > obeyed in cored coils, even with significant air gaps (which is one
> > reason I can use turns ratio in flyback (twin choke) supplies to
> > calculate switch and diode burdens). I don't know what more I can say
> > really.
> >     In answer to the last bit, significant phase shift does occur but
> > only progressively as one travels up the resonator winding. The
> > voltages are and have to be totally in phase at the base.
>
> So, do you see the TC sec coil as a sort of 'continuous' magnifier,
> only without a sharp transition between the secondary and tertiary?

I did - until those measurements I took yesterday. Well in a way I
still do, but the influence of the driving system clearly influences
resonator behaviour. It is now clear why the tapping part way up with
a capacitor makes it look like a magnifier. It would appear that a
node or artificial ground is created by the tap.

> How much phase shift occurs between the pri and sec (as a whole)
> in a magnifier?  Has anyone ever measured it?

I will do so at the first opportunity, perhaps this weekend. I have
to do some firing.

Malcolm