[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Thyratron pair (was DC Drive)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 08:59:01 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Thyratron pair (was DC Drive)

Hi Richard,

> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Thyratron pair (was DC Drive)
>
> 10/12/97
>
> Bert wrote:
>
> snip
<SNIP>

> So, why not determine the requirements of a particular resonator and
> design our drivers to provide only these requirements?  We may be able
> to exprimentally provide even better waveform content than that which
> occurs naturally.

???

> Think about Dr. R's version of the extra coil where he has eliminated
> the driver secondary altogether and drives the extra coil from the
> primary alone.  The reason this works is that there is fast rise time
> and the the required extra coil wave content is available.
>
> As we become more familiar with these driving techniques, we will
> eventually be able to elminate the primary/secondary driver altogether
> and directly drive the resonator electronically.

I should point out that this is essentially CW drive and that this
has all been done before. Duane Bylund published a CW fed mag
some time ago using a 1/2 bridge driver. The real trick would be to
get power disruptively into a single resonator. I don't think it can
be done without using at least one other coil but I could be wrong.
I would regard a tap on the resonator as equivalent to using a second
coil.

Malcolm