[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:45:57 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

Hi Terry,
          This is a very interesting observation indeed:

> From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

<snip>
>         I feel that the reduction in the self capacitance was due more to
> the field concentration in the #2 and #3 coils rather than the winding to
> winding capacitance.  There is probably some mathematically perfect way to
> wind these coils other than the formulas I used.  Any suggestions??

I actually noted in more recent notes on my artificial line
model (which I didn't release to the list) that Cdistr appeared to
follow the electric field intensities along the resonator.

    The other night, I was leafing through the CSn yet again and
found a section somewhere around p220 where Tesla actually noted that
he thought Cself of a cylinder could be used as an approximation for
his Cdistr. I hadn't previously seen that note.
    I think you are absolutely right that Cself has little to do with
inter-turn capacitance. Tesla never realized this at first and made
heroic attempts to cancel inter-turn capacitance.

Very nice experiments.
<snip>
Malcolm