[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie question (Acrylic = Mylar?)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:39:40 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Newbie question  (Acrylic = Mylar?)

> coils. I am not in favor of 'acrylic' since this is typicaly the same
> as mylar and mylar has high dielectric losses. One of the worse I
> might add.

Mylar is a tradename for a polyester plastic. Acrylic is just that, acrylic
polymer. They aren't the same, nor do they have the same properties.

Mylar actually has pretty good dielectric properties, both in terms of
breakdown strength (not as good as polyethylene, but in the same area as
PTFE), and also in loss. It also has a really high resistivity, which is
why they use it in high stability low leakage capacitors.

Acrylic (of which there are many, many forms) has so so properties in terms
of dielectric strength, and it has a fairly high loss, compared to some of
the better plastics around.  One of the real virtues is its easy
machinability and the fact that it makes really clear solids (i.e.
Plexiglas) which can be solvent glued