[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange Choke

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 13:25:56 +0100
From: Gwyn Zucca <gwyn-at-tcbod.demon.co.uk>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Strange Choke

Hello All,

Thanks to those who replied to the mail I posted about current limiting
power transformers. On the same subject I have been given a transformer
unit which looks like it was designed as a variable choke. It has four
terminals on the connection plate, two of these are marked AC and the
other two DC. The unit is wound on a single bobbin, but the cores are
double C cores and probably air gapped internally. I have not yet
measured the inductance of the windings, I assume that these sort of
units would use a DC current applied to the DC winding to vary the flux
field, and so control the AC current flowing in the AC winding. As I
have not seen one of these chokes before I wondered if any body else
has, and if so does any one have any experience with them.

Many Thanks

See ya...

Gwyn