[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer Ballasting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:42:14 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Transformer Ballasting

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:43:35 +0100 Gwyn Zucca
<gwyn-at-tcbod.demon.co.uk> wrote;

> Hello All,
>
> I have tried searching the list archives for anything on the subject of
> current limiting power transformers, but I did not find exactly what I
> was looking for. The problem seems to be limiting the short out current
> without reducing the output voltage of the transformer. Obviously any
> resistance in circuit with the xfrm primary is going to develop a volt
> drop across it, and so the primary voltage will be lower than the rated
> output. The use of an inductive ballast, is going to have a similar
> effect. I have been experimenting with various arrangements, but have
> not yet achieved a satisfactory solution.
>
> Any thoughts, experiences on this subject would be welcome.

Your observations are correct in that any resistive method of current
limiting a transformer is going to cause IR^2 losses. The traditional
approach is to use an inductance or choke to current limit the transformer.
Many of us use arc welders with the outputs shorted to control pole pigs.
On commercial bombarder transformers they use either a variable choke ( a
bar of iron laminations that slides in and out of a large coil) or they use
a saturable reactor. A saturable reactor is essentialy a transformer with
its primary and secondary in series and a third winding is added on the
center leg that is fed with D.C.  Effectively as more D.C. is applied
the effect of the center leg of the transformer is neutralized and the
inductance of the primary and secondary windings goes down. Presently
saturable reactors or magnetic amplifiers as they are also sometimes called
are a cut and try affair.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/