[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grades of Mineral Oil??

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, October 26, 1997 2:10 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Grades of Mineral Oil??

On Sunday, October 26, 1997 3:57 PM David Hutchison
[SMTP:DavidH8083-at-aol-dot-com] wrote;

> At a local HamFest today, I picked up a gallon jug of mineral oil for only
> $1. However, I note that the label says  LUBINOL (Light Mineral Oil N.F.).  I
> am worried about the designation "Light". Surely they don't mean there is
> *water* in it?  And, if there is "light" mineral oil, is there also "heavy"
> mineral oil?  I hope to use this stuff for my own home built caps.

David, mineral oil is a by product of the petroleum industry and comes in
viscosities almost as light as water to thick grease know as vasoline.
What all of us are using in our capaitors is known as light mineral oil,
usualy U.S.P grade The N.F. desigation means - National Formulary and is a
designation of purity the least pure being technical then N.F. then still
purer is U.S.P meaning United States Pharmacopia then the purest you usualy
will run into is is A.C.S. reagent which represents - American Chemical
Society analytial reagent grade although there is still purer grades like
spectroscopic grade, but it is soo expensive you will probably never see it
outside of a research or analytical lab.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/