[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Power steering fluid as capacitor oil?

From: 	student_of_agoshtas[SMTP:ceg4760m-at-cs.wright.edu]
Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 7:38 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Power steering fluid as capacitor oil?

Has anyone tried using power steering fluid as a capacitor oil.  I
purchased a few bottles of Pyroil Power Steering Fluid which, on the back,
features and extensive list of ingredients: petroleum oil.  No additives,
according to the label.  It appears to be very low viscosity (lower than
the mineral oil I looked at during the same shopping trip.  I didn't buy
the mineral oil because it listed tocopherols(sp?), which I believe is
vitamin E, as an additive.

My ohmeter went infinite with the stuff, and it readily saturated a sample
of the
masking paper I used to roll my cap.

Aric