[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: picture of your pimary

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 29, 1997 3:32 PM
To: 	William Peabody
Cc: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: picture of your pimary

Hi Bill,
               Unfortunately photographing it is an exercise in
futility since you can only photograph one side at a time. Simply
imagine two flat spirals, one spiralling in, one spiralling out
in the *same* winding direction and joined at the centre with
a flat sheet of acrylic between the two. Because the copper came like
this (and was soft to boot) I simply devised a way to use it as it
came out of the packet. Minimal effort for an excellent coil. Took
less than two hours to complete. The "cold" connection is made to
the outer turn of the bottom portion and taps are accomplished by
drilling a small screw hole into the top turn/s and holding a tag in
with a self-tapping screw. Spacing between turns was about 1/4" if
that. Worked out to be about 1kV/turn which is ample clearance.
    Hold each turn in place with a dab of hotmelt as you space them
(4 dabs/turn) then run a decent dollop across each set of dabs after
you have finished tacking it.

Malcolm