[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon life (and death)

From: 	ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net[SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 29, 1997 3:20 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Neon life (and death)

What's the typical lifespan of a neon TC power supply?  One
subscriber to the list has suggested that a pile of used neon
transformers is good to have around, because they don't last very
long.  I find this most disturbing, as I own only ONE neon
transformer, and it wasn't free.  I've seen working luminous sign
transformers in downtown New Orleans that appear to have been on
continuous duty for decades.  Obviously, neons are built to last.  So
why would a TC shorten the life of a neon so drastically? I'm aware
of the need for output chokes, and mine will be protected with four
(4) robust, home-made units (2 big air-cores, and 2 fat ferrite
cores).  I'm also including a safety gap.  What more can I do?
Series power resistors maybe?

Greg