[Prev][Index][Thread]

Cheap vacuum pump

From: 	ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net[SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, October 31, 1997 9:15 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Cheap vacuum pump

Years ago I read an article in an ancient volume of "Scientific
American" magazine.  The author described how to build a vacuum pump
using a rotary compressor from a discarded refridgerator.  He vented
the freon, drained out the old oil, & refilled it with vacuum pump
oil.  Of course, he had to solder on a few pieces of copper tube for
hookup.  He used it to make a homebrew x-ray tube, so it must've
pulled a pretty hard vacuum!  For poor coilers who can't afford a real
pump, this sounds like a cheap & interesting experiment that could
lead to better poly caps.  When I get back to the US I plan to try it
myself.

Greg